2012-2013 General Catalog 
    Dec 10, 2023  
2012-2013 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Records


General Information


South Plains College is bound by the Texas Open Records Law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L. 93-380 Education Amendments of 1974), and institutional procedures in determining access to or the release of student records.

Student records are maintained in the following areas:


Office of Admissions and Records, Department and Faculty Offices, Continuing Education Office, Guidance and Counseling Office


Dean of Students Office, Guidance and Counseling Office


Business Office, Financial Aid Office

A student’s permanent educational record normally consists of the following academic information: transcript of courses taken, grades earned, semester grade point average, cumulative grade point average, placement test scores information, admission application, transcript and certificate evaluations, and tuition classification information.

The information contained on the permanent student record will be maintained on computer disk, microfilm and/or hard copy for as long as the college exists. Backup copies of computer disks and microfilm are also maintained at a site other than the Admissions and Records Office or the Administrative Computer Center.

General directory information may be updated by completing the appropriate form in the Admissions and Records Office or through the CampusConnect account.

Student Identification Number (SID)


The primary student identification number (SID) at South Plains College is an assigned and computer generated random number. The SID will be assigned by the Admissions and Records Office at the time of acceptance to the college. The student’s Social Security Number (SSN) will be collected, recorded, and reported as required by federal and state requirements and other appropriate exceptions as defined and approved by the college. The college will take reasonable precautions to secure and protect the SSN in all cases.

Release of Information


Other than directory information, which may be released to the general public without the written consent of the student, the college will not permit release of educational records without the student’s written consent. This consent must be signed and dated by the student and must indicate which records are to be released, the purpose of the release and the name of the agency to which the records will be released.

A student may request that all or any part of the general information be withheld from the public by making a written request to the Admissions and Records Office during the first twelve (12) class days of a fall or spring semester, or the first four (4) class days of a summer term. The request will apply to only the current enrollment period. The following student data is considered as general information:

  1. Name
  2. Current and permanent address
  3. Telephone listing
  4. Enrollment status (full-time or part-time)
  5. Classification
  6. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  7. Major and minor field of study
  8. Dates of attendance
  9. Degrees and awards received
  10. Most recent educational agencies or institutions attended
  11. Photograph or other image of the student

Generally, the college will grant access to or release of records only to students, since the rights given to parents transfer to the student when he or she attends a post-secondary educational institution. Parents of a dependent student can obtain release of that student’s records by submitting a signed and notarized Certificate of Dependency Form along with verification of dependency.  The form is available from the Admissions and Records Office or at www.southplainscollege.edu/admissions. Transcripts pertaining to a student or former student will not be released if the student or former student has an outstanding debt.

Only educational records originating at South Plains College will be copied for students. Documents submitted by or for the student in support of an application for admission or for transfer credit will not be returned to the student nor sent elsewhere on request. For example, a transcript from another college or high school record will not be released to a third institution or given to the student.



MySPC is a one-stop access point to South Plains College resources and services including CampusConnect and student e-mail. MySPC gives access to important announcements, news and events, college calendars, and a personal planner.

Students gain access to MySPC and receive a username and password upon acceptance to South Plains College. To login to MySPC, visit https://myspc.southplainscollege.edu


CampusConnect is a service available via the internet to all new and currently enrolled South Plains College students.  CampusConnect is accessed by successfully logging into MySPC at https://myspc.southplainscollege.edu.

Students must utilize CampusConnect to view their final grades at the end of each semester. In addition, students register for classes as well as view or print their class schedule, unofficial transcript, account status, or financial aid status through CampusConnect.

Some areas of CampusConnect are inaccessible to students whose financial or academic records are not in good standing.

SPC E-mail

All students at South Plains College are assigned a standardized SPC e-mail account. Personal e-mail addresses will continue to be collected; however, the assigned SPC e-mail account will be used as the official channel of communication for South Plains College.  The Student Correspondence Policy can be found at www.southplainscollege.edu.

Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days from the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar, dean, departmental chairperson or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that is believed to be inaccurate or misleading. The student should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record to be changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational record except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Exceptions which permits disclosure without consent include disclosure to school officials or individuals with legitimate educational interests. These individuals may include a person employed by South Plains College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee (such as a disciplinary or grievance committee) or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, South Plains College discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by South Plains College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Hold Placed on Records


A hold is placed on a student’s records, including grades and transcripts, when he or she fails to resolve financial obligations with the college. A hold will also be placed on the student’s transcript when he or she fails to provide required admission documents or transcripts from prior educational institutions. The hold remains in effect until all obligations have been resolved.

Transcript Service


Students may request a copy of their academic record accumulated while at South Plains College. Official transcripts may be requested in person or in writing.  Currently enrolled SPC students may request an official transcript online at www.southplainscollege.edu/admissions. Official transcripts are only available through the Admissions and Records Office at the Levelland Campus. Students are allowed a total of ten free transcript copies.  Additional copies beyond the lifetime quota of ten copies are $2.00 each, payable in advance.

Your request must include the following: your full name, student ID or social security number for precise identification, date of birth, address, telephone number, the last semester enrolled, and your signature and a copy of a government issued ID. Send your request to: South Plains College, Transcript Request, Box C, 1401 S. College Ave., Levelland, TX 79336.

Transcript requests cannot be honored from those students whose financial and academic records at the college are not in good standing and on “Hold”. Currently enrolled students may print an unofficial transcript using CampusConnect.