South Plains College offers six program areas which prepare students for careers in the allied health industry. These programs are designed to provide a skilled workforce for the medical and health industry in the college’s service area. These programs include:
Emergency Medical Services
Departmental chairperson is Jerry Findley, Dean of Health Occupations, Chairperson of the Allied Heath Department.
Physical Therapist Assistant
This program is offered on the Levelland Campus. The program director is Jackie Underwood.
Fundamental Student Learning Outcomes
The Allied Health Department provides a sound academic and competency-based clinical education, which prepares students for lifelong learning and ensures that the graduate has achieved the technical competence to perform the skills designated at the specific program level.
These skills include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate competence in cognitive, psychomotor, and affecive domains;
- Exhibit scope of practice with knowledge/skills, clinical behaviors/judgements, and educational infrastructure;
- Display effective oral and written communication;
- Demonstrate compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards and guidelines;
- Recognize and accept cross-cultural diversity in professional settings and the greater society;
- Apply knowledge of computer information systems in business and other segments of society.
- Apply knowledge of applicable courses for advancement of higher education opportunities.