2013-2014 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Physical Therapist Assistant, AAS (Major Code 5108)
Specialization in Physical Therapist Assistant prepares students to work in a variety of healthcare settings that provide physical therapy services. Students who satisfactorily complete this program will receive an Associate of Applied Science degree.
The A.A.S. in PTA is a terminal degree and does not transfer to university-level physical therapy programs. Students will be prepared to take the licensing exam upon completion of A.A.S. PTA degree plan. To qualify for the Associate of Applied Science degree, the student must complete a Capstone Experience during the final semester of the program.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at South Plains College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314; telephone 703-706-3245; email firstname.lastname@example.org; website http://www.capteonline.org.
Program Admission Requirements
The number of students admitted to the PTA program is limited; therefore all students interested in admission to the program should contact the PTA Program Director or program advisor. Applicants must complete the following procedure.
- Complete admission requirements for South Plains College. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant program.
- Obtain a program application packet from the PTA program. Call (806) 716-2470 for information.
- Complete advising session with PTA Program faculty. Complete an information/contact form.
- Applicants must be TSI compliant at the time a program application is submitted.
- Score satisfactorily on the HOBET V Exam.
- Complete 20 clinical observation hours.
- Obtain three (3) letters of recommendations.
- Submit the complete application packet by the last Friday of March by 12:00 p.m. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered for Fall semester admission.
- Participate in program interviews.
Admission determinations for the fall semester are made in May. Program advisor is Jackie Underwood, director of physical therapist assistant program.
Associate of Applied Science Degree