Offered at the SPC Reese Center
The South Plains College Radiologic Technology Program provides an environment that facilitates student success in acquiring the theory and technical skills of a professional medical radiographer. In order to achieve its mission, the South Plains College Radiologic Technology Program is committed to the following program goals.
- To provide students an opportunity to acquire the technical skills, effective communication, patient assessment and patient care skills necessary to complete a full range of radiographic procedures on a diverse population of patients.
- To provide students with the problem solving and critical thinking skills necessary to make competent, informed clinical decisions regarding radiographic procedures.
- To provide employers and the community with graduate radiographers possessing the skills required of an entry-level medical radiographer.
The Radiologic Technology Program consists of courses taught over a period of 24 consecutive months and culminates in an Associate of Applied Science degree. To qualify for the A.A.S. degree, the student must complete a Capstone Experience during the final semester of the program.
The educational programs of South Plains College, including the Radiologic Technology program, are approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The Radiologic Technology program meets the requirements of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), as well as those for the Texas Department of State Health Services/Medical Radiologic Technologists licensure.
Program Admission Requirements
The number of students admitted into the program at the beginning of each fall semester is limited by available space in the clinical education sites. A new radiologic technology class is selected once a year in July. All individuals interested in admission to the program should contact the Radiologic Technology Program faculty for entrance criteria and a program application. Applicants must complete the following procedure:
- Apply for admission to South Plains College. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to the Radiologic Technology program.
- Complete the prerequisite courses and as many of the remaining general studies courses found in the curriculum as possible.
- Take and pass the Listening Comprehension (ESL) section of the Accuplacer with a minimum score of 85.
- Make an appointment with the Program Director during posted office hours to submit an application packet that includes the Radiologic Technology Program application and all applicable college transcripts, including SPC transcripts, between May 1 and July 10 of the year of intended program enrollment. An Admissions Qualifications Worksheet will be completed at this time.
Program director is Denny Barnes, professor of radiologic technology.
Associate of Applied Science Degree