Offered at the Levelland Campus and Plainview Extension Center
During this two semester program, students will be taught the rules and regulations of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. Students will understand the theory and skills of shampooing, hair and scalp treatment, hair cutting, chemical hair relaxing, hair styling and shaping, manicuring, cold waving, hair coloring, skin care, facials, and eyelash extensions. Students will also have an understanding of all applicable saftey and sanitation rules and regulations to be in compliance with TDLR along with salon development, salon operations, professional ethics and record keeping.
Students will acquire the knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to become licensed by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and to work as a cosmetologist in the State of Texas. Students receive a Certificate of Proficiency upon completion of the curriculum from South Plains College. To qualify for the Certificate of Proficiency, the student must complete a Capstone Experience during the final semester of the program.
Program Admission Requirements
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Requirements require cosmetology students must be seventeen years of age and have a high school diploma, or a G.E.D.
In addition to meeting the general admission requirements of South Plains College, students who wish to enter the Cosmetology program must make separate application to the program, and complete the following requirements:
1. Applicants must initiate an appointment for the Cosmetology Entrance Exam process. Levelland campus program: Sarah Thompson by telephone # 806-716-2647 or email email@example.com. Plainview Center program: Daphanie Shelby by telephone # 806-716-4303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. At the appointed time, applicants will complete:
- Cosmetology Program Application
- Cosmetology Entrance Exam, which applicant must score 70 or above
- Interview with a cosmetology program instructor
3. Applicants must attend a mandatory orientation on a Friday at 9:00 a.m., which date will be set during Cosmetology Entrance Exam process. During orientation, applicants must:
- Provide High School name or location where applicant received G.E.D. including city, date including the month, day and year.
- $25.00 cash for registration fee with Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation to be eligible to practice cosmetology in the State of Texas
- 1 ½ inch by 1 ½ inch (passport) size photo for the T.D.L.R. permit
Program advisors on the Levelland Campus are Sarah Thompson: Program Coordinator and Assistant Professor of Cosmetology; Kristin Reichelt: Instructor in Cosmetology; Tisha Tappudu: Instructor in Cosmetology; Jeb Wilcox: Instructor in Cosmetology; Sharla Methvin: Instructor in Cosmetology; Miranda Arriaga: Instructor in Cosmetology. Program advisor at the SPC Plainview Extension Center is Daphanie Shelby: Program Coordinator and Instructor in Cosmetology.
Certificate of Proficiency